Thumb arthritis treatments
Joint replacement for osteoarthritis of the thumb
Joint replacement (arthroplasty) using the Ivory® implant is the latest, fastest, and most natural way to treat osteoarthritis of the thumb and restore its normal range of motion. Both the procedure itself and recovery time are remarkably quick.
The procedure consists in replacing the damaged joint, rather than removing or fusing it, with an implant similar to a miniaturized hip prosthesis. Dr. Jean-Paul Brutus uses the Ivory® implant, an original device developed after 30 years of research.
Arthroplasty helps restore normal thumb dexterity in six weeks, compared with other surgical techniques requiring recovery time of 9 to 12 months.
- Revolutionary procedure available in Canada
- Recovery time up to 5 times shorter than conventional surgical methods
- Rehabilitation rarely necessary
- High patient satisfaction rate
- Safe and proven – The procedure has been practiced in Europe for many years with good results.
Dr. Jean-Paul Brutus is an internationally renowned expert in this field. He was the first surgeon in North America to perform joint arthroplasty.
- Rapid relief of pain.
- More complete recovery of strength and dexterity of the thumb and hand.
- Less surgical trauma; preserves the integrity of the thumb basal joint.
DIRECT IMPACT ON YOUR QUALITY OF LIFE
- Much faster return to work.
- Rapid resumption of hobbies and sports.
- Minimizes loss of income, greater enjoyment of life.
Who can benefit from this procedure?
This procedure is not recommended for everyone. Contraindications include advanced osteoarthritis, a deformed trapezium, or an unsuitable occupation or hobbies that would cause accelerated wear and tear of the implant. The expected lifetime of the implant is 10 to 15 years on average. In some cases, however, the implant could fail earlier. Should a problem occur, the implant can be replaced or a conventional trapeziectomy performed.